Zero Waste Chocolate Cups!

There are a few things that I occasionally miss now I'm trying to  to live a less environmentally impactful life. One of the biggest ones, is actually really silly... It's those chocolate pudding cup thingies. 

The funniest thing is that I only ever bought them once or twice a year, but now that I can't have them because they are all covered in nasty single use packaging I find myself craving them any time I stumble into the refrigerated section. 


So, I had to come up with a cunning plan for making a vaguely equivalent version, and bonus - it's vegan, and actually pretty healthy!




1 tbsp coconut cream
2 tbsp boiling water
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp sweetener of some kind (honey works if you eat that, otherwise maple syrup or even just sugar)
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 square of dark chocolate (I would say this is optional... but who am I kidding)

Super easy method too - throw everything in a little container, mix and wait about 10 to 20 minutes for the seeds to do their absorb-y, gooey thing and the chocolate to melt.


And boom! We have yummy puddin'! You can also make this in bigger amounts and eat it over time.... or all at once, it's basically healthy so it's fine. 



Chia seeds are glorious wee beasties, with loads of good nutrients and a solid whack of protein. :)

Another of the things I miss, because they are so hard to find in bulk in NZ, is crackers! So I came up with a recipe for those too! Amazingly, here in Malaysia bulk crackers are actually a thing that you can buy in a bunch of different places. :) Yay Malaysia! 


I ate this one while watching a show I just discovered on Netflix, called One Day at a Time. The main character is a single mum, who is a veteran, with PTSD. She has two kids, who are an awesome feminist and a sassy young dude. It plays with themes of sexism, environmental issues, growing up an immigrant, illegal immigration, raising kids on a single salary, religion, and classism. 
AND it's funny :D 
I highly recommend it. 

Do you have any cool zero waste food swaps? 

Leave me a comment!

xo

Cait

Labels: , , , , , , , ,